Tuesday, 9 December 2014

Sandwich Review - Day 2



Sandwich: Pret's 2014 Christmas Sandwich
Date Bought/Eaten/Reviewed: Tuesday 9th December
Shop bought from: Pret A Manger, Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow
Price: £3.60

Brief Outline of Sandwich: Turkey breast on malted bread with a dollop of slightly tart cranberry & port sauce. Served with  stuffing -with seasoned minced pork, streaky bacon and apricots. Topped with crispy onions and fresh baby spinach. Fucking lovely stuff.

Review:
Today's Sandwich consumption was somewhat delayed due the fact that I had arranged to have lunch with my Mother in the City Centre. As a result I bought this sandwich before coming home and consumed it as a late in the day snack.
None of this information has a bearing on the taste of this sandwich.

I'd like to state that I have a love/hate relationship with Pret A Manger. I first started frequenting them when I lived in London and worked in Soho. There were many many places to eat round Soho but I found Pret was always of good quality without being unaffordable. I also liked their coffees. However it wasn't until I moved back to Glasgow that I started disliking Pret. My first job back in Glasgow after having been living and working in London for a couple of years saw me work as a runner on a feature film. I was the office runner and as such one of my roles involved getting lunch for a lot of people in our office on a daily basis. Our office was based in Ibrox. One of the Production Managers (I believe she was Norwegian and always spoke like she was 9 years old or had just suffered a stroke) always used to ask me to go get lunch for her from Pret. The nearest Pret was in the City Centre, basically a 45min round trip which involved trying to find places to park and carrying many soup cartons and sandwiches as they spilled from my hands onto the ground. It was basically hell. She'd also always complain that her soup was cold when I got back. It annoyed me. But then I guess that none of this is Pret's fault. So I forgive them.
None of this information has a bearing on the taste of this sandwich.

And the taste of this sandwich is AMAZING!

Honestly I think what Pret have created is as close to a Christmas miracle as I am ever likely to find.
Where do I start?

Well first of all it is a moist sandwich. In fact it manages to be moist whilst including Turkey. This is not an easy thing to do. The moisture comes from the liberal allocation of 'port and cranberry sauce'. This sauce compliments the meat exceptionally well. 
And the meats! A lot of it, which work well together. The Turkey aside there is streaky bacon and minced pork, all of whose flavours come through though none too powerfully. 
The textures of this sandwich are heavenly as well. In their great wisdom they have added crispy onions to this sandwich which serve as a cheeky layer of surprise and gives the tongue a treat.

Does it taste Chrismassy? Why yes it does. The stuffing they have wisely included really brought me back to the Christmas meals of old, sitting at a large table as Cliff Richard sings loudly about the Child being a King or some shit.

The Apricots were a bit weird, but I won't complain, it's good to get one of your 5 a day in a sandwich.

Structurally this sandwich was not as vigorous as yesterdays but I can forgive it as it had a lot going on and I think by adding more cranberry sauce to the concoction meant that strength was sacrificed for flavour and rightly so.

It's been 20minutes since I finished this sandwich and I still feel full. At 540 calories it's another big-one but slightly healthier than yesterday's sandwich.

Similarly to Marks & Spencer Pret are donating proceeds to their Christmas sandwiches to a charity. They claim that 5p of each sale goes to Pret Foundation Trust (PFT) which in turn helps the homeless as well as those that help support the homeless, they also work with vulnerable people and a few other worthy causes. For more information see their website here:
http://www.pret.com/pret_foundation_trust/about.htm if you wish to donate you can do so in store (in collection boxes) or by buying any of their branded products.


1 comment:

  1. I had a feeling this would be a good one, so I've been saving it for my last shift before Christmas. Sounds like it won't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete