Sunday, 17 April 2011

All That's Gone

Thought I’d write you a letter, about all the things that have changed….
Since the days that we were King & Queen of all that we surveyed.
We knew all the coolest places and wore the future in our skin….
And we stood outside on winter nights and smoked ourselves thin.
And we clever and cynical and fashionably bored and we were walking and talking, down at New Yorks.

Honey all that’s gone.
Baby all that’s gone.
Honey all that’s gone.
Baby all that’s gone.

I used to have opinions and wore them like my clothes but what seemed to be position, turned out to be a pose.
We said that we were gonna be big, rock and roll stars….
But my sole never found a buyer, unlike all my guitars.
And I’ve run out of many things, rode myself out of steam….
But time has worn a hole in me, a place I keep my dreams.

Honey all that’s gone.
Baby all that’s gone.
Honey all that’s gone.
Baby all that’s gone.

And I don’t have a story now, at least not one I care to write….
These memories I keep for me, bits and pieces of a life.
And I apologise for not dying young, for not opening a vein….
And for keeping close the ones I love and never naming names.
To my friends I still seem hopeful, it’s just whistling in the dark….
As I’m down here in the dirt, the fossil is my heart.

Honey all that’s gone.
Baby all that’s gone.
Honey all that’s gone.
Baby all that’s gone.

So I hope this letter finds you, just as well as when we met….
Ambitions may have faded babe, but your beauty never did.
At nights when I have drunk enough and I’m full of hope and wine….
I recall a melody, your voice and mine.
We can still be King and Queen, if only for tonight…..
Somewhere in our history the futures shining bright.

Honey all that’s gone.
Baby all that’s gone.
Honey all that’s gone.
Baby all that’s gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRUpdDlgtMk

c/o Tom McRae
http://www.tommcrae.com

No comments:

Post a Comment